- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Sour cream and sliced jalapenos for topping
- Preheat oven to 375° F and lightly coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onion in a large skillet. Once meat is cooked and onion is soft, add in garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in crushed tomatoes and corn, then simmer for 5-7 minutes. remove from heat and stir in black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and butter. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour chili into prepared baking dish and top with cornbread batter. Bake for about 28-35 minutes or until cornbread is slightly golden.
- Top with sour cream and jalapeno slices if desired. Enjoy!